Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Actually

Turns out my shoulder injury is not a shoulder injury at all. It is a pinched nerve in my neck. I have been seeing a chiropractor for a couple months now and I can't believe how much of a difference it has made. In addition to spinal and shoulder adjustments, I had SASTMs done to my injured shoulder. A SASTM is where they take a purple scraper and scrape out the scar tissue and deposits and what not in your muscles. It's pretty damn deep and painful and if there is scar tissue the area bruises quite badly. The front side of my rotator cuff and the cap of my injured shoulder bruised so bad and was so tender for a few days after that I had to go up a couple shirt sizes in order to not feel chafing. The trap and lat were bad too but nothing like the rotator area. My shoulder is largely healed up and I didn't have to have surgery. I'm very impressed with how this has gone so far. At this point both clavicles need to be adjusted a couple times a week. The doctor swears I must have been dealing with this problem for a long time since it's a constant thing which would kind of make sense. Especially when I first started lifting, I had a wildly shifting bout of strength. One day I could bench 95 pounds and the very next session I could only bench around 65 pounds. I just wondered if it was all in my discovery to understand my own strength and body but that might not be the entire story after all.

With that said, I'm starting to build up again, and that's a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment